I’m declaring that the month of May is brown bag lunch month on the blog! What does that mean? Well, do you eat lunch at your desk? Do you need/want quick, easy, tasty, ideas for your lunch. Maybe you microwave it, maybe you eat it cold. Or, maybe you microwaved it, then had to go to that meeting that ran long, and then came back to your desk to eat the room temperature lunch. However you’d like to enjoy your lunch, I’ll be giving you new ideas all month long.
See, I pack my husband’s lunch almost every day. And, I realized, I’m not the only one doing this. Maybe we can all use some new ideas. Maybe I’ll learn some one recipes along the way too!
You won’t find any sandwiches in this collection of brown-bag lunches. Mainly because my husband isn’t really a fan of sandwiches. Well, he likes hot ones like burgers and Tuna Cake Sandwiches. But, cold cuts, he’s rather pass on.
We’ll start off brown bag lunch month with a Teriyaki Bowl. Super quick, takes less than 30 minutes to make. And, it’s healthy and yummy. Remember when I told you I’d give you a recipe to use that homemade Teriyaki Sauce on, well, here it is.
Any carrots will work in this lunch, I also like those shredded ones or cubes ones. You can also add in some more veggies like steamed broccoli or snap peas. Remember, it shouldn’t be too difficult to make lunch, or you might not do it. So make it easy on yourself and use what you like and what you already have in your fridge.
I always cook up extra rice when I make some. That way, lunches like this are super easy and quick to pull together. And, use whatever rice you prefer. I like brown rice, and my husband likes white rice. So, I’ll often do a compromise 1/2 and 1/2 mixture when I cook rice. But, use your favorite!
And, make sure to send a little extra Teriyaki Sauce on the side!
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow pepper cut into slices
- 2 cups waffle cut carrots thawed if frozen
- 16 ounces tofu cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup shelled edamame thawed if frozen
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 green onions sliced diagonally
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, or other heavy-bottomed skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add yellow pepper and carrots and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tofu, and cook 4 minutes.
- Add rice, edamame, and teriyaki, and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until rice is heated through, stirring occasionally. Garnish with green onions.