Last month I made my own Homemade Sun Dried Tomatoes for the first time. And, they were awesome! The recipe made a ton of sun-dried tomatoes, and I used them for three different recipes: Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta, Spicy Sausage, Baby Potatoes, and Snap Peas, and this Sun Dried Tomato Dip.
I left my tomatoes on the moist side rather than making them super dried. If you’re making this recipe with dry-packed store-bought sun dried tomatoes you’ll want to soften them first. Here’s how… place dried tomatoes in a small bowl, and cover with 1 cup of boiling water. Allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Drain and proceed with the recipe.
The food processor is my kitchen helper of choice for this because it makes short work of the dip, everything is nice and thoroughly combined, and the dip is super creamy! If you don’t have a food processor, you may also make this using a hand mixer or mix by hand using a sturdy fork.
This dip is a little spicy with a nice tang. It’s filled with healthy veggies, and it’s nice and creamy. Perfect for eating with veggie chips, crackers, tortilla chips, or sticks of veggies. And, it won’t break your calorie bank!
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes homemade preferred, or packaged without oil, dry packed
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese at room temp
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chili-garlic sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions plus additional for garnish
- If using homemade sun dried tomatoes, chop into ¼ to ½ inch pieces. If using store-bought sun dried tomatoes, place tomatoes in a small bowl, and cover with 1 cup of boiling water. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Drain and chop tomatoes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place softened cream cheese and pulse to make creamy. Add sour cream, chili-garlic sauce, and spices, and pulse to combine. Once everything is well mixed, add sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper, and green onions, and pulse once or twice to mix in the veggies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny