Slow Cooker Pesto Potato Soup with Meatballs
This Slow Cooker Pesto Potato Soup with Meatballs is a hearty comforting soup that’s made in the slow cooker or crock pot.
In a hurry? Use store-bought pesto rather than making your own. I’ve had some really good ones lately.
As for the meatballs, use your favorites! I love Trader Joe’s meatless meatballs. In fact, my whole family loves them. Most of them like the meatless ones better than the meaty ones. But, if you prefer, use your favorite – beef, pork, turkey, chicken, or homemade. Anything will work here.
To toast pine nuts: Spread pine nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 375° F, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Or, place the pine nuts in a dry heavy skillet, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes.
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 cups firmly packed basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Meatballs (use homemade or store-bought frozen meatballs)
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Combine the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the basil, salt, and pepper to taste and process until ground into a paste. With the food processor running, drizzle the olive oil through the feed tube, processing until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve the soup.
- Place the oil and garlic in a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker, cover, and cook on low while you clean and dice the potatoes, garlic should be fragrant when ready. Add the prepared potatoes and broth and season with salt. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- When the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork, use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the slow cooker. Or, puree soup in batches in a blender, returning the soup to the slow cooker to keep warm.
- 15 minutes before you are going to serve the soup, add the desired amount of meatballs, about 3-5 meatballs per serving, to the slow cooker. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle the soup into bowls being sure to get the desired number of meatballs per serving, top the meatballs with a spoonful of pesto, and garnish with a sprinkling of pine nuts.