I love Halloween! It’s my favorite holiday! And, for my favorite holiday, I decided to make one of my favorite desserts. Salted Fudge Brownies: Rich, moist, traditional super fudgey brownies. Just the thing when you’re craving “a sometimes treat”! And, yes, I do crave things that aren’t always full of veggies. Brownies are one of my favorite treats. And, these brownies really don’t take much extra work over the boxed kind, but, these give you a super yummy treat that you just won’t get out of box.
The salt in these brownies helps to balance the flavors. It isn’t like you bite into them and think of the sea. It’s a lightly salted treat, just like a good salted caramel is. And, if you want, you can garnish the brownies with extra coarse grain salt, you know, to gild the lily.
These brownies call for unsweetened cocoa powder to up the chocolate flavor while not weighing them down. Want to learn more about Dutch Process vs. Natural Cocoa? Read here
And, did you see the super cute Halloween plate and napkins that my husband bought for me! I love them! All those crows flying everywhere. So cute! I love crows: they’re really intelligent birds. Did you ever hear the NPR story about crows? Or there was a PBS story as well. Really good stories, and definitely worth a listen or a watch.
But, back to the brownies, I guess I can sum these bad boys up in one word… YUM!
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate finely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2-3 large eggs*
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9-inch square cake pan with foil, draping the foil over the edges. Lightly butter the foil, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate over very low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Whisking them in one at a time until thoroughly incorporated, add the cocoa, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, salt, and espresso powder. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the surface.
- Bake the fudge brownies in the center of the oven for about 30-35 minutes, until the edge is set but the center is still a bit soft and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out coated with a little of the batter. Let the brownies cool at room temperature in the pan for 1 hour, then refrigerate just until they are firm, about 1 hour. Lift the brownies from the pan and peel off the foil. Cut the brownies into 16 squares. Serve at room temperature.
Make Ahead: The Salted Fudge Brownies can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, and frozen for up to 1 month.
Adapted from Food and Wine