“Using store-bought naan bread [for these Pizzettas with California Dried Plums & Caramelized Onions] instead of making pizza dough is the time-saving secret of these pizzettas. We like to top these flatbreads with caramelized onions, goat cheese and California Dried Plums, then add a side salad for a great light lunch.” ~ California Dried Plums
Did you know that California Dried Plums have many health and bone benefits? With October 20th being World Osteoporosis Day, California Dried Plums and I want to raise awareness of those benefits! #CADriedPlums #ad
I learned a ton of great stuff about California Dried Plums while doing this post! Like the fact that dried plums may help manage weight! Read on to learn more and how dried plums help!
Some great facts about California Dried Plums:
- A daily serving of California Dried Plums (prunes) help support healthy bones
- Research suggests that eating two servings, (about 100 grams or 10 to 12 dried plums), may improve bone mineral density (BMD) and slow the rate of bone turnover in post-menopausal women. Source
- New research shows eating half that amount, just slightly more than one serving, about 50 grams or 5 to 6 dried plums), may help maintain bone loss in post-menopausal women. Source
- Vitamin K helps improve calcium balance and promotes bone mineralization. A 40gram serving of dried plums (4-5 prunes; about 100 calories) is considered an excellent source of Vitamin K, which provides 30% of the 80mcg Daily Value.
- Incorporating California dried plums as a regular part of nutritious food choices may support healthy bones. They contain vitamins and minerals such as potassium, copper, boron and vitamin K which may have bone protective effects.
- California Dried Plums, a unique product, grown and harvested naturally and exclusively in the golden state, are The Whole Package: a naturally sweet, convenient and nutrient-dense snack and a versatile culinary ingredient. Emerging research suggests dried plums support healthy bones, and may support heart health, digestive health, immunity and healthy aging.
- One standard serving (4–5 dried plums) is about 100 calories. Additionally, each serving provides 3 g of fiber (and is considered a good source of fiber), 293 mg of potassium, 16 mg of magnesium and more vitamin K than any other fresh or dried fruit.
And I love this fact…
- Dried plums may help manage weight through improved satiety perhaps by producing lower glucose and/or appetite-regulating hormone concentrations.
These Pizzettas with California Dried Plums & Caramelized Onions are a great healthy light lunch. But, don’t stop there! Cut them into small pieces and you have an awesome appetizer that would be at home on any party spread. The sweet and savory mix would also be fabulous as an addition to Tapas night! And I love how easy these are to make and serve! A little onion cooking, a little spreading on the naan, and after 5 minutes in the oven, voila! You have an awesome little Pizzetta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small onions thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 6-inch round tandoori naan
- 1 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese
- 1 cup about 6 ounces quartered California pitted dried plums
- Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until onions are soft. Add rosemary and thyme and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown.
- Place naan on a baking sheet; spread 1/3 cup onion mixture on each naan, leaving a ½-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with ¼ cup goat cheese and ¼ dried plums. Bake about 5 minutes or until crust is golden and toppings are hot.
Adapted from California Dried Plums
Learn more about California Dried Plums | Twitter: @cadriedplums | Facebook: CaliforniaDriedPlums | Instagram: cadriedplumboard Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.
“I am participating in a VIN campaign for California Dried Plums. I am receiving a fee for posting; however, the opinions expressed in this post are my own. I am in no way affiliated with California Dried Plums and do not earn a commission or percent of sales.”