My Mom loves oatmeal. And, she loves lemons. (She can’t have any chocolate or coffee). So, these bars were perfect for her for Mother’s Day brunch.
They’re pretty sweet, but mom loved them! She even asked for the recipe so she could make them for work potlucks. I sent some to work with my husband, where he said everyone loved them. I really liked the crunchy oatmeal bar topped with the soft lemony custard.
They were really easy to make. One thing I really liked about them was that you didn’t have to pre-bake the bottom crust. Just mix, layer, and bake. They were also really easy for Mother’s Day because they were all ready to serve right from the fridge.
I think they’d be really good with ½ cup of shredded coconut added to the oatmeal cookie part too.
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a square 8x8 baking pan, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar using a sturdy fork or a hand mixer.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add oats to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix to combine.
- Press half or slightly more of the oat mixture into the prepared pan. In a small bowl mix together sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract. Spread evenly on top of the oat mixture in the pan. Top with the remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Cut into bars and store in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Just Call Me Maria