I love the slow cooker (or Crock Pot)! Especially in the busy fall and winter months. When you can put something on, have it cook and smell yummy and not have to do much! Oh that’s perfection!
This Creamy Broccoli and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Soup totally works for the cooler months when you want something yummy, warm, and filling (and easy!).
This soup is great for a little variety too. You can throw in some ham or some bacon, to add a nice meaty smoky flavor. Throw in some leftover Thanksgiving turkey to help use up those leftovers.
If you want to make it even easier, use some shredded carrots from the produce section at the grocery store. I would just throw those into the crock pot and not even worry about precooking them, because they’re so small they should cook up really quickly.
If you can’t find plain wild rice at the store, you can use a rice blend instead. I saw many rice blends that had wild rice in them when I was shopping for the ingredients for this soup. I had to go to Trader Joe’s to get the plain wild rice, as my grocery store didn’t carry it.
I highly recommend half and half for this recipe; it’s what gives a really creamy soup. But, if you don’t want those calories, use the milk of your choice: skim milk will make a thinner soup that’s lower in calories, whole milk will give a good compromise between half and half and skim milk. You could even use a non-dairy milk like canned coconut milk (that would give a great thick soup), or almond milk.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 carrots sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup wild rice uncooked
- ½ cup long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 cups broccoli florets broken into small florets
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- ½ cup sliced almonds toasted
- paprika for garnish
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, sauté the onions until tender and starting to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Add carrot and continue to cook 5 minutes until carrot is soft. Transfer cooked vegetables to the bowl of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add next 8 ingredients, broth through pepper, to the slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 2 ½ to 3 hours, or until vegetables are softened and rice is cooked.
- About 30 minutes before serving the soup, mix in the half and half, broccoli, and cheese, cover, and cook on low for another 30 minutes. Taste for seasonings. Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with almonds and paprika, and enjoy.