A nice tropical twist on the traditional side dish. This Caribbean Corn is quick and easy to make, and is perfect for a summer BBQ, picnic, or pool party. I love the mixture of flavors in this sauce. Sweet pineapple juice, salty soy sauce, fresh green onions. It all mingles really well together. You’ll love this family friendly dish.
I recommend using fresh corn that you cut off the cob for this dish. It makes it nice and fresh. To cut corn off the cob, hold an ear with one end resting in a large bowl to catch all the corn kernels and juices. Using a sharp knife, slowly slice down the ear, removing the top two-thirds of the kernels, but leaving the base of the kernel attached to the cob. Then, using the dull side of the knife, press down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the kernel and the milk.
If cutting fresh corn off the cob seems like too much work, or you can’t find fresh ears of corn, frozen defrosted corn will also work. Which makes it really simple and easy to make this fun side dish!
This could easily be made vegan by using a plant-based milk rather than skim milk. Almond or coconut milk would be my choice for a great vegan alternative.
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- 3 cups fresh corn or defrosted frozen corn
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- Coat large skillet with non-stick spray. Add corn and garlic powder, sauté for 5 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine pineapple juice and next 5 ingredients. Add sauce mixture to corn, cover skillet, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add chopped green onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
Adapted from Cooking Light