Dan started working on Brined and Roasted Chicken to make it great for his World Famous Gumbo. He likes to make the chicken separately so that I can eat the Gumbo as a vegetarian dish. Since then, we’ve noticed that people will take a simple piece of chicken, and be very happy with it. We also like to do a mini Thanksgiving where he’ll make chicken instead of turkey (he really can’t eat a whole turkey all by himself, and this makes him just as happy as a turkey would).
After roasting it he will cut some into smaller pieces for people to take a bit of chicken, especially the kids like their food plain, so this works well for them. And, then he’ll shred some of the chicken to add into the his gumbo.
The leftover shredded chicken also works well for his lunches. I’ll mix the chicken with a little sauce, maybe teriyaki or enchilada sauce, throw that on some rice with whatever veggies are in the fridge, and voila! a nice easy lunch that he thinks is delicious! Or, I’ll toss a small handful of shredded chicken into a quesadilla with some veggies so he can have a chicken quesadilla. I also like to put some on a salad for him, like this Farmer’s Market Salad.
In some of the pictures you’ll see some spices on top of the chicken. Dan used his favorite mesquite spice blend. This Summer Grill Spice comes really close to his recipe. Give it a whirl on top of this Brined and Roasted Chicken.
And, one of the things I really like about this oven roasting method of cooking chicken is that it keeps any mess off of the stove, so clean up’s a breeze!
- 1/2 cup kosher salt or 1/4 cup table salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground thyme optional
- 1/2 tablespoon sage optional
- 1 quart water
- 1.5-2 pounds of chicken bone-in thighs
- 2-2.5 lbs boneless skinless breasts chicken
- Sprinkle of Grill Spice optional https://lifecurrents.dw2.net/summer-grill-spice/
- Mix all ingredients except chicken and grill spice, in a large bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add chicken to brine, and refrigerate, covered for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from brine, and dispose of the brining liquid.
- Use large roasting pan or foil tray with edges, and place chicken in the tray. Sprinkle with Grill Spice if desired.
- Roast, uncovered, in 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Flip chicken over, and continue to roast for an additional 30 minutes. Remove chicken from oven, allow to rest 5 minutes, and chop or shred as desired.
Suggestions for mini Thanksgiving dishes include Simple Roasted Cranberry Sauce, Potatoes Fondantes (Smashed Potatoes with Rosemary), Vegetarian Stuffing, Maple Thyme Roasted Carrots, and Chipotle-Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes.