Blueberry Breakfast Pastry & a collection of The Best Berry Recipes from some of the best bloggers around!
We’ve kind of been on a blueberry kick around our house ever since we went blueberry picking over the summer. We found the cutest little blueberry farm, and they had two different kinds of blueberries – Legacy, that were sweet and similar to the ones you buy in the grocery store. But, the ones that we really fell in love with were the Elliots; blueberries so full flavored and tart that we ate them by the handful! They were our treasure of the summer, and I can’t wait to be able to pick some more! When we them, I’m going to pick buckets-full of them. Then I’m going to freeze them.
Freeze them so I can make pies, and tarts, like this mason top pie I made over the summer with the fresh picked blueberries.
I’m going to freeze them so I can make blueberry ice cream and blueberry syrup, and especially this blueberry breakfast pastry. This breakfast pastry was inspired by Delightful E Made’s breakfast braid. We decided to use puff pastry (I can’t get enough of that flaky yummy pastry!).
This Blueberry Breakfast Pastry is easy to make, but be sure to let your puff pastry defrost before using it. I’m wondering if I can make the filled pastry the night before and simply pop it in the oven the morning that I wan to eat it. I’ll be experimenting with that soon. But, since a group of my blogger friends wanted to share berry recipes, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share this delicious recipe with you.
Make sure you scroll down to see all the great berry recipes that are being shared today! I can’t wait to try them all!
You may notice that I call for frozen wild blueberries in the recipe. I get these at my grocery store, so they are pretty widely available. The wild ones are a bit smaller, have a more intense flavor, and aren’t quite as sweet as the plain blueberries, so I highly recommend that you get the wild ones. If you can’t find them feel free to use regular frozen blueberries.
The cream cheese icing will probably make more than you’ll need for one pastry. I like to keep the extra in a small covered container in my freezer, and microwave it for a few seconds when I need it the next time, say when I make another blueberry breakfast pastry!
Blueberry Breakfast Pastry
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
- 2 sheets puff pastry (17.3 ounces total), defrosted according to package directions
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided use
- 2 cups frozen wild blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1-2 tablespoons turbinado or raw sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Lay a piece of parchment paper out on the counter, and place one unfolded sheet of puff pastry on top. Lightly roll out the puff pastry. Place the parchment paper and puff pastry on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 4 ounces of cream cheese and 2 tablespoons sugar. Spread the cream cheese mixture into the center of the puff pastry, leaving a 1-inch border around the outside.
- Without unfolding the second sheet of puff pastry, put it into strips about 1-inch wide.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix the blueberries, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and cornstarch. Pour the blueberry mixture over the cream cheese filled puff pastry.
- Fold up each side of the puff pastry over about 1-inch of the blueberry filling. Lay the strips of cut puff pastry over the top in a pretty pattern. Sprinkle the top of the pastry with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 375 ° for 22-27 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
- While the pastry is baking, make the cream cheese icing. Mix powdered sugar, 4 ounces cream cheese, and milk, adding milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Stir until smooth.
- Carefully remove blueberry breakfast pastry from the oven, and drizzle with cream cheese icing. Garnish with additional turbinado sugar if desired. Enjoy!
Makes 4-6 servings
Check out The Best Berry Recipes recipes below from bloggers who took part in our 30 Day Berry Recipe Challenge
- Blueberry Breakfast Pastry from Life Currents
- Yummy Strawberry Cheesecake from Manila Spoon
- No bake berry lemon tartlets from Culinary Ginger
- Best Ever Breakfast Strawberry Fruit Salad from Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Raspberry Buckle from Savory Experiments
- Raspberry Chocolate Tart from Num’s the Word
- Fresh Strawberry Crisp from The Kitchen is My Playground