Baked Potato Soup with Broccoli and Red Pepper
It’s good to have an idea of what’s for dinner, and it should be something you can make in a flash. This soup fits the bill – really tasty, easy, healthy, low-calorie, and filled with veggies. Most of the ingredients for this soup can be kept around in the fridge for a little while without going bad, so it’s a great back-up item for your menu planning.
This Baked Potato Soup is creamy & thick. Baked potatoes and soup, I mean, doesn’t everybody love both of those things? And, you can top it with whatever you like – cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, green onions, even a dollop of chili on top would be tasty.
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes*
- 1/2 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 5 ounces frozen chopped broccoli if the pieces are too big, chop them into smaller bite sized pieces
- 4 scallions white and green parts thinly sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream plus additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Pierce the potatoes several times, and place on a microwave safe plate. Cook potatoes on high in microwave until tender when pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes (cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes and the power of the microwave). Coarsely chop the potatoes into approx 1-inch chunks.
- Combine potatoes, red pepper, broccoli, scallions, and broth in large pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and mashing potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk, 1/4 cup sour cream, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir milk mixture into soup. Taste for salt and pepper. Also, if the soup is too thick add additional broth or some water to thin it out.
- Spoon soup into bowls, dollop each with sour cream and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired.