This delicious breakfast of Baked French Toast Casserole brought to you by my wonderful husband!
I love French Toast. It’s probably my favorite syrupy covered sweet breakfast treat. But, who wants to stand over a skillet flipping French toast all morning? Not this girl! So, my wonderful husband came up with this recipe. I love it! It’s easy to make, and is the perfect way to enjoy French toast any day!
Wonderful eggy buttery French Toast with crispy golden brown edges, and a fluffy inside! It’s not soggy or limp; it’s just lovely! You’re whole family will adore this French Toast.
And for us, because there’s only the two of us in the house, it makes a bunch of leftovers so we have French toast all week with no work!
For the French bread, you’ll be cutting the bread into ½ inch to 1-inch cubes. You want about 12-15 cups of bread cubes, enough to fill a 13×9-inch pan, which is almost the whole loaf. We usually just leave out the ends of the loaf.
Use whatever milk makes you happy in this dish. We usually use whole milk, as it’s nice and thick and rich. But, we’ve also used almond milk with great success. If you’re lactose intolerant the almond milk is a great option.
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cut the French bread into ½ to 1-inch cubes, place in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt together in a medium bowl until frothy, set aside.
- Place the butter in the bottom of a 13x9 pan, and place the pan in the preheated oven to melt the butter, about 5 minutes. Once the butter is melted, carefully remove the pan from the oven, and tilt the pan to coat the melted butter all over the bottom of the pan and about 1 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread crumbs, and toss to coat. Pour the egg & bread mixture into the butter coated pan. Bake in 350° oven about 30 minutes, or until eggs are set and casserole looks golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, maple syrup, fruit, whipped cream, whatever makes you happy!