Vegan Miso Ramen Soup
Miso soup has always been one of my favorite things when we go to Japanese restaurants. And, this Miso Ramen makes it a whole meal in a nice hot bowl of soup. I got to have some miso soup on Day 11 of the healthy clean eating cleanse, so I was reminded of how tasty it is!
Sometimes we add ½ cup frozen peas. Sometimes we add a beautiful poached egg or two on top. You could also add carrots, broccoli, bamboo shoots, baby corn, or water chestnuts as your heart desires.
To get the dried ramen noodles, I buy those really cheap packages of ramen that you can make on the stove, and they’re about 30 cents each. I take the flavor packet out and throw it away (or in the compost). It’s really high in sodium, and has very little redeeming value, so I don’t feel too bad doing this. Replacing the flavor packet with miso is a much healthier choice. Miso is high in vitamin B12, low in calories, a decent source of protein (2 grams of protein for just 25 calories). And, it’s so much tastier than those packets.
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazineAdd to Flipboard Magazine.
- ½ sheet dried sushi nori (roasted seaweed), chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 sheet dried ramen noodles, uncooked
- ½ cup cubed tofu
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Place the chopped seaweed in a small bowl and cover with ½ cup tap water. Set aside.
- Pour the broth or water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the ramen noodles, and cook for 3 minutes, breaking noodles apart as the cook.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the soaked seaweed, the soaking liquid, and the tofu. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the miso paste into a bowl, and carefully add ½ cup of the hot broth. Whisk the miso paste into the broth so that there are no clumps left, and it’s a smooth mixture.
- Carefully pour the ramen, tofu, and remaining broth into the bowl with the miso mixture. Top with chopped green onion, & enjoy!
- Makes 1 serving, double or triple as needed