As I write this, I’m sipping on a homemade pumpkin spice latte. Yummy!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons canned or homemade pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice* (see cook's notes)
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup (grade A or grade B)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together all ingredients except vanilla, and pour into a medium saucepan. Heat milk mixture over medium heat until small bubbles form on the outside edges of the pan (scalding). Remove from heat and add vanilla. Strain through a fine sieve to remove the spices and pumpkin solids.
- Add the creamer to your morning coffee to have a wonderful homemade pumpkin spice latte. And, for those people who don't drink coffee, or for your kids, try the pumpkin steamer without coffee as a warm tasty drink before bedtime.
- Store the Creamer in the refrigerator. You'll need to give it a stir when you're ready to use it again.
- *Cook's notes: If you don't have pumpkin pie spice in your spice cupboard, mix 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- I suspect that if you were avoiding dairy you could replace the milk with coconut milk, soy milk, or almond milk, but I didn't try it. It was also delicious as a pumpkin spice hot chocolate!
I added the Pumpkin Spice Latte creamer to some really tasty coffee from Trader Joe’s… Wintry Blend. I normally don’t like flavored coffees, but this one isn’t really a flavored coffee as I usually think of them. This is ground coffee with spices added. And, it smells fabulous when it’s brewing.
Here’s the rest of Unprocessed October Day 26’s menu:
breakfast: sliced strawberries and coffee
snack: pumpkin spice latte
lunch: I added two poached eggs to the spicy black beans and rice to make huevos rancheros
dinner: gemelli pasta with homemade tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella and a pumpkin spice hot chocolate
snack: Dan came home with Chipotle’s chips and guacamole because he was nice enough to buy dinner for his team at work, and he brought some home for me too! And, you may know that I suffer from guacarexia (the desire to get all of one’s calories from avocados). so I had to partake in the chips and guac. MMMM. And, Chipotle is one of my favorite places; they’re a company about food with integrity. So, it isn’t as bad as it could’ve been.
It was a beautiful day yesterday, and I took this shot while I was outside…