This Soba Noodle Salad with Grilled Veggies and Tofu made a great lunch. Easy, quick, healthy. And, you can eat it chilled or at room temp if it’s too hot out, or if you unexpectedly get called away from your lunch.
I love these buckwheat noodles, both for their flavor and their color, but if you can’t find them in the Asian area of your local market, feel free to substitute any regular noodle like spaghetti or linguine.
The lunch container you see in the pictures is a great one with its pretty red color, but my favorite ones are these lunch containers. They have great tight fitting lids that don’t let sauces leak out, and they’re glass so there’s no worries about BPA or melting or warping.
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise, ½ inch thick
- 2 baby bok choy
- extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz extra firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 6 oz buckwheat soba noodles
- ½ cup fresh basil, torn if large leaves
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the zucchini and bok choy with olive oil and lightly season with salt. Grill over moderate heat, turning once until tender and lightly charred, about 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Place the chopped veggies in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over medium heat, tossing, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool. In the same skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat, tossing, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a different small plate or bowl and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, and olive oil until combined. Toss in tofu cubes until coated with the sauce. In the same skillet you used to toast the nuts and seeds, stir fry the tofu with sauce over medium-high heat until golden and fragrant, about 5-10 minutes. Once cooked, add the tofu cubes and any remaining sauce to the same bowl with the veggies.
- In a large saucepan, cook the soba noodles until al dente, according to package directions. Drain noodles, and toss together with the veggie-tofu mixture.
- Add fresh basil and toasted pine nuts to soba noodles & toss to combine. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve either warm or cold.
- This is a great dish for lunch & serves 2-4