A friend of mine asked about making her own sauces. So, I said I’d give her some of my favorites. These are so versatile; I’ve made suggestions on how to use each sauce, but don’t let that limit you. If you want to try something else, please feel free.
The Sweet and Soy Dressing can be used as a marinade as well as a dressing. I like to marinate tofu in it, and then use the tofu in a salad and dress the salad with it. It’s also really good on a spinach salad with a little blue cheese. Great on my Tuna, Asparagus, Red Potato, and Hard-Cooked Egg Salad. Or on Autumnal Salad. Try it as a glaze for fish: Soy Glazed Barramundi with Pineapple Salsa Served Over Black Rice.
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients (or shake in a jar with the lid on). Add salt and pepper to taste. The dressing can be kept refrigerated. Always shake well again just before using.
- Try to mix up the ingredients a bit: use seasoned rice wine vinegar instead of balsamic, and add in dash of sesame seeds. Or, red wine vinegar and honey. Give a nut oil (like hazelnut oil) a try.
- Nutrition analysis is for the whole batch
The Peanut Sauce is great for dipping veggies and tofu into, like in this Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce. Peanut Sauce is also great over pasta or a baked sweet potato.
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup smooth natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Stirring frequently, cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, or until smooth. Remove from heat.
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
- 4 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl.