Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
I love a good healthy and easy meal. And this Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew fits the bill perfectly. It’s made with ingredients that I usually have in the house, so it’s great for those days I’m not sure what to make for dinner. And, it’s vegan (use vegan sour cream or just leave it off) and totally budget friendly.
This Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew also makes a great lunch the next day. Send along some tortillas and drain off the liquid for a fabulous lunch taco the next day!
I think that lentils are amazing. Vegetarians love them for their taste and protein. All the meat eaters I know love them as well. They are like the perfect little package. Scroll down for some of my other lentil recipes.
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
A great, easy to make, healthy vegan dinner that's made with ingredients I usually have in the house
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 7 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups dried brown lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into ½ -inch dice
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) fire roasted diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro , chopped, optional
- Sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt for serving , optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Add carrots, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth or water and lentils. Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and continue to cook, covered, until lentils and potato are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice. Cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream or yogurt, if desired. Serve hot.
I love Lentils:
Click on the picture to go directly to the recipe!
Lentil and Potato Pot Pies with Rosemary Biscuit Crust
Tomato Lentil Soup
Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette Dressing
Lentils with Winter Vegetables
Lentil Chili with Green Onions