Sure, I’d love to always have homemade vegetarian broth on hand. But, what’s a girl to do you do if she runs out? Well, there’s canned broths with lots of sodium, sugars, and MSG. There’s bouillon cubes and powder that often have MSG and trans fats (look at the ingredients for partially hydrogenated oils). Or, you can make your own dry Instant Vegetarian Broth Mix.
This mix is great because it keeps for a long time in dry storage. You can mix it up easily, and keep it on hand, just in case. Or, you can mix it up right then and there, in case of a broth emergency! (hee hee) My Instant Vegetarian Broth Mix has no sodium, is vegan, gluten-free, extremely low in calories, and adds a nice flavor boost to soups, stews, casseroles, or anywhere you need some broth. And, if you put it in a jar with a pretty ribbon, you could give it away as homemade Christmas gifts.
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar and mix well. Mix again before using. Use ½ teaspoon mix per 1 cup of water in recipes.