Beverages: here’s a Round-up of different beverage ideas. Most of these are healthy ones with some tips included on why they’re healthy. Enjoy!
- A study from the Yale School of Medicine found that people who drank two cups of sugar free cocoa daily improved blood flow by 5 percent, and cut their blood pressure by three to four points, which can lower cardiovascular disease risk. Skip packets with added sugar; the sweetener raises insulin and restricts blood flow which would limit the benefits from the cocoa.
- Pineapple lime soda: 4 ounces pineapple juice, 4 ounces diet lemon-lime soda, 1-ounce lime juice, and ice. Garnish with lime slices 74 calories
- Cranberry Spritzer: 4 ounces cranberry juice, 4 ounces sparkling water. With ice
- Root beer float: 1/2 cup vanilla frozen yogurt, 12 ounces diet root beer. About 150 calories
- Lemon Green Tea: Add a 6 ounce can of lemon juice concentrate to 12 ounces green tea, chill, and top with 12 ounces club soda, a lemon wedge, and garnish with mint leaves.
Adding lemon to green tea makes 5 times more catechin, a heart-healthy antioxidant, available for your body to use than if you sipped sans citrus (the vitamin C slows the breakdown of catechins in the digestive system)
Green tea is a great pre-workout drink: It increases your endurance by as much as 24 %, which means you may exercise longer, thus burning even more calories.
Four to six cups of green tea throughout the day may be helpful in keeping arthritis and other chronic diseases away, according to a study done at the University of Toledo.
- Chocolate soy egg cream: Stir together 4 tablespoons plain low fat soy milk and 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup. Top with 1 1/2 cups seltzer water; stir. Serve with a pretzel rod if desired.
- basic lemonade: stir together 3 cups cold water, 1 cup lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar until dissolved.
- Change it up: Ginger lemonade: fresh ginger, ripe pear slices, sugar cane for stirring.
- Watermelon: watermelon puree, and garnish with a watermelon slice.
- Peach Tea: equal parts lemonade and peach nectar, and iced tea. Garnish with peach slices.
- Blackberry: fresh blackberries and sage leaves.
- Raspberry: raspberry juice and fresh raspberries.
- Key Lime: limeade, key lime slices, and mint leaves.
- Lemon drop: crushed lemon drops, sugar, and lemon slice. Garnish with crushed lemon drops around the rim of the glass.