Cream of Mushroom Casserole
I love a good comfort food dish! Casseroles are definitely in this category for me. This Cream of Mushroom Casserole is filled with simple comfort food ingredients. Your whole family will love it!
We’ve had lots going on in my family lately, so I’ve been falling back on some casseroles. You make a big batch of something, and then you get to eat leftovers for a few days. I mean, what could be better!
In fact, I was making casseroles when the football playoffs were going on. I’d make the casserole on Friday, then we didn’t even have to miss any of the games on Saturday or Sunday. And, not that everyone is all in when there are games on, but this idea works well for any sport that you don’t want to miss on TV, or any award show, or movie night as well!
If you want to make this casserole in advance, add in a little extra pasta cooking water. The pasta will soak up the liquid as it bakes, and as it’s refrigerated. So, I like to add in a little extra moisture to keep things creamy. This Casserole starts with homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, and you’ll find the recipe here.
Looking for more great ideas for lunch? I have a great board on Pinterest for all kinds of lunch recipes. Take a look here:
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- 1 recipe Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 12 ounces small shape pasta, like penne, shells, or Farfalle
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the Cream of Mushroom Soup (recipe here http://wp.me/p1Nzoa-4iF ).
- While soup simmers bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta, cooking pasta for 1 minute less than the package instructions (pasta will continue to cook in the oven). Drain pasta, reserving about ½ cup of cooking water.
- Stir cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, frozen peas, and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella together. Mix in the pasta. Mix in 2 tablespoons of pasta cooking water. If mixture seems too thick, or if you’re making casserole a day before for leftovers, stir in additional pasta cooking water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in a casserole dish, and sprinkle remaining ½ cup shredded mozzarella over the top.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and browned a bit.
- Casserole can be made a day in advance and kept in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch or dinner.