Ok, both of these gift ideas use chocolate, but I figure that most people love chocolate, so what better gift to give!
In keeping with the DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte, I wanted to make a DIY Peppermint Mocha (that’s always one of my favorites!).
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract*
- Whisk together all ingredients except peppermint extract, and pour into a small saucepan. Heat mixture over medium heat until small bubbles form on the outside edges of the pan (scalding). Remove from heat and add peppermint extract.
- Add creamer to your morning coffee. And, for those who don’t drink coffee, or for your kids, try this as is... a nice peppermint hot chocolate.
- Creamer should be stored in the refrigerator. You’ll need to give it a stir when you’re ready to use it again.
- *Cook's notes: If you'd like more peppermint flavor, try adding a few drops more of the peppermint extract, but the peppermint can quickly overpower, so be careful. Or, if you want to try an almond mocha, replace the peppermint extract with 1 teaspoon almond extract.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder*
- 1/8 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients in a small jar. Put a pretty ribbon on the jar and tie up with a cinnamon stick and the instructions.
- To use: Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons powder into 1 cup hot milk, water, or coffee. Enjoy.
- Cook's notes: most well-stocked grocery stores will carry these spices. Chili powder may be substituted for the ancho powder and/or the chipotle powder. If you prefer, the chili powders may be left out.
- The nutrition analysis below is for the whole batch, dry.