Broccoli and Pea Potage with Thyme (soup): I love soup! Soup can be so healthy and so satisfying. This broccoli and pea potage (potage: French pottage: meaning potted dish, thick soup, stew, or porridge) is filled with veggies and the addition of lentils bumps up the protein as well as the fiber content of the soup.
You’ve seen me talk about how much I love lentils before. I think they’re a great vegan option. And, they’re low in calories. Want to learn more about the benefits of lentils? Take a gander at The World’s Healthiest Foods. Also, take a look at some of the other lentil dishes I’m made.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth (homemade preferred)
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¾ cup cooked green or brown lentils
- 1-2 cups fresh spinach, cleaned, stems removed, and torn into smaller pieces
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add green onion and shallots and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broccoli, thyme, salt and pepper, and sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add peas and lentils. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly. Add spinach to soup pot.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Return soup to pot, and heat over low until soup is hot.
- Taste for salt and pepper, adding more as desired. Serve hot.
shared on Diet, Dessert, and Dogs