Avocado Lime Ice Cream – Rich creamy avocados totally lend themselves to a this custard-based ice cream that’s pretty simple to make.
This Avocado Lime Ice Cream starts off with an easy custard based, and then the delicious mashed avocados are mixed in. The tart limes add a nice offsetting flavor to the creamy avocados. And, you get a really fun and delicious adventurous ice cream flavor.
The ice cream is so thick and rich that it only takes my ice cream machine about 5 minutes to mix it, where most ice creams take about 20 in my machine.
If you love avocados like I do, this is a really fun and yummy treat! And, it’s a great way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, or to finish off taco Tuesdays with a fun dessert.
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe avocados
- zest of 2 limes
- juice of 1 lime
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, sugar, and salt over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until the sugar dissolves and the cream starts to come to a simmer (scalding).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and slowly pour the egg yolks into the scalded cream, stirring constantly as you pour them in. Allow the mixture to cool completely in the saucepan, stirring occasionally, add the vanilla, and chill the custard in the fridge.
- Peel and remove the pits of the avocados. In a small bowl, mash the avocados until they are smooth and creamy. Mix the mashed avocado into the chilled custard, and add the lime zest and lime juice. Taste the ice cream mixture for sweetness, and add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter ice cream, as the sweetness will dull a bit when the custard is frozen.
- Pour the custard mixture into the bowl of your ice cream machine, and process according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Serve the Avocado Lime Ice Cream garnished with lime slices or additional lime zest.